This is the blog of AlanJC, aka ChimeraX. Probably mumblings of a random nature, but there may be the rare useful post.

Saturday 16 May 2009

New netbook

Well, new to me...

I have owned the Asus Eee PC 701, and the Acer Aspire One previously, and I have a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 for work, but I was missing the portability of a little device I could sling around and not worry too much about. My laptop is only a 12" widescreen format Samsung Q210, but it's also 3 times he price of a cheap laptop, so I don't want to put undue wear and tear on it if I can help it.

Anyway, yesterday lunchtime, a colleague and I went netbook shopping, just to have a look around. While I dearly loved the Samsung model, I couldn't possibly justify £300, so we went to look in another store. They had an "open box" HP Mini 2133 for £179. While I have always hated these because they are larger, and much more expensive than the two I owned previously, I simply could not ignore that price tag.

The CPU is slower than the Acer, but with a proper HDD, it's not as laggy on performance compared to the Acer's very slow SSD.

Anyway, I have installed Windows 7 on it with all the apps I need for day to day tasks, and designed a graphic for the lid which I had made today.

I really can't thank Asif from Fletchers Auto Parts in Birmingham enough!

No comments: