This is the blog of AlanJC, aka ChimeraX. Probably mumblings of a random nature, but there may be the rare useful post.

Monday 4 May 2009

Tagging meatspace

Putting my twitter name on my laptop in meatspace has had me thinking about QR Codes and Microsoft Tags.

Things like this are very common in Japan, probably many other places, but I don't see them around the UK very often.

QR Codes will probably win, there are already more users, reader applications, and people who recognise them, but we'll see.

I think that it would be easier for someone to tag my twiter ID via a code with a mobile phone running a reader, than hoping they would see a text version, jot it down, and remember to look me up when they check twitter next.

If you're at an event, there's a chance your tags could be read from photos too. I think this is where the Microsoft tag is better, it seems to be a little simpler, and from a few experiments, can be read from more angles in lower resolution images.

The next experiment is to see the best way to make the labels, as my preferred cut vinyl graphics would not be suitable for either.

Here's my twitter address in the two competing formats:

Microsoft



QR Code

No comments: